Business Intelligence (BI) Engineer
Pets at Home
This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2017, and Number 15 in Europe! Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun. We truly believe it’s our people that make the difference.
We are the UK’s leading pet specialist and aim to be the Best Pet Care business in the World, providing pet owners with all their needs including food, accessories, veterinary and grooming services. Our Omni-channel retailing business operates from a UK wide store network of over 450 superstores alongside an online offering via our website. We also offer services to our customers through our in-store veterinary practices and grooming salons, as well as nutrition consultations, aquaria water testing and pet micro-chipping.
We operate the UK’s largest small animal veterinary business through our interest in around 450 first opinion joint venture practices and 4 specialist referral centres. Our first opinion practices are mainly operated under the Vets4Pets brand and are located both in-stores, as well as in standalone locations. Our referral centres provide high level, specialist services to both our own, and independent, first opinion practices.
Pet Care Analytics for All
The CEO & Board have positioned ‘using data and VIP to better serve customers’ as one of our 4 strategic pillars and intends to keep us ahead of the curve in the Pet Care industry.
To achieve this, we are focused on creating an internal analytics capability that will create value by helping us all to make better decisions that improve pet welfare, enables a brilliant customer experience and optimises the working life of our colleagues and partners.
Since the appointment of the Chief Data Officer onto the Executive team we have outlined a strategy to establish “Pet Care Analytics for All”. Analytics will become the lifeblood of our Pet Care ambitions across the Group. We will establish an internal set of capabilities (people, process, technology and culture) that will allow the Group to:
- Get more impactful, relevant and timely insight out to colleagues and partners
- Increase the velocity and effectiveness of our VIP activity and customer experience journeys
- Leverage advanced analytics to optimise our supply chain, customer spend, workload, colleague rotas, pricing, next best action and vet practice profitability
- Introduce further artificial intelligence to improve pet welfare and diagnosis
Notwithstanding Pets at Home’s already pre-eminent position in the Pet Care market, we recognise that we cannot rest on our laurels. We have taken a forward-looking approach and placed data and analytics at the heart of the business particularly as we have a successful customer loyalty scheme (VIP) that we can leverage far more than we already have. We believe that if we can harness the power of our data it will open up new opportunities. To maximise these opportunities requires a leading class analytics capability within the organisation.
We have outlined 3 broad streams of activity within our analytics strategy:
- Creating an Analytics organisation and operating model
- Implementing a cloud-based data and analytics infrastructure
- Changing the organisation to an analytics mindset and culture
We are at the beginning of our journey and as a BI Engineer, you will have the opportunity to influence the technical and strategic direction of your team, take ownership of parts of the existing platform or learn from your existing base of education in this visionary ‘greenfield’ opportunity.
Key role responsibilities
- Driving adoption of our Business Intelligence environment through first in class dashboard and MI development
- Taking our business colleagues from capturing and refining requirements through to build, test and delivery.
- Define, design, develop and maintain performant BI applications and data pipelines ensuring data quality is maintained to a high standard.
- Evangelize about our data platform, products and data capabilities with other departments in order to bring more relevant data into our eco-system and develop future data-products that solve real business problems.
- Maintain simple but useful relevant technical documentation as it is of key importance to make sure that our data platform is easy to understand and use.
- Providing maintenance and support of our existing suite of reporting dashboards and BI products or data pipelines.
- Actively drive improvement and growth through analytics of our data and new techniques.
- Adopt efficient design and development principles to "transform and load" data for MI production. Provide support to other team members to manage complex requirements
- Design BI layout in conjunction with business stakeholders ensuring that insight is relevant, clear and succinct.
- Provide input and adhere to standard design framework and data architecture principles
- Contribute to product innovation
- Extend and share expertise across the team
- Provide 2nd line support and assist 1st line support staff as required
Essential experience and skills
- Sound knowledge and experience of BI platforms and tools e.g. Business Objects, Tableau, Looker, Qlik, Thoughtspot, PowerBI, GCP Big Query, Redshift, Snowflake, SSIS
- Advanced level of knowledge and understanding of coding syntax and query languages e.g. SQL
- Good level of experience of designing optimal dashboards or data models suited to the role
- Demonstrable experience of understanding business needs and translating outputs into meaningful language and creating commercial success through actionable analytics/insight
- Proven experience to see and know “what good looks like” when it comes to people, methods, tools and practices within BI services
- Good level of knowledge and understanding of data warehouse design and best practices
- Have a good level of experience with a programming language e.g. Python, R, C#, Java
- Containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes, Helm)
- Understanding and experience of version control and its benefits to the business as well as CICD/devops processes,
- Mentoring and training of colleagues in best practice and BI tools, with proven results
- Experience leading on projects with varied deliverables
- Assisting with quality control and testing of BI Engineer L1 deliverables
The way you work
- Strive to create the simplest solution to any problem, using the right tool for the job
- Focus on high-quality, reliable and fault tolerant software/systems
- Adapt to new technologies and technical challenges
- Support project delivery with pragmatic estimates and progress tracking
- Work collaboratively and support colleagues
- Excellent verbal and written communication
• Competitive salary and bonus
• 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
• Birthday Leave – 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
• The option to buy extra holidays
• Pension Scheme
• Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
• “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
• 4 x Life assurance
• Contributory Private Health Care
• Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
• Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
• Free Car Parking
• Free Gym
• Colleague of the Month Awards
• Cycle to Work Scheme